Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Can't Get Over It... - 2nd and 3rd Year Tales..

Song of the day:Ultra
"Human After All"

Re and Mi After Do (Do Re Mi)

In the first three years of my studies, my social circle wasn’t that big but occasionally I was here and there trying to know more people. 

And those were the times that I began to know more SEL and SEM fellas, boys and girls. 

I realised that there were more chicks in other courses than in my course. And what the f**k.

Lol.

No offence intended though.

In my 2nd year, I also recalled that I joined Golden Key International Honour Society Chapter UTM (GKUTM), a society which only recruits members with a CPGA of 3.5 and above.

I was baffled by the CPGA condition for the member participation thingy at first but soon I still joined the society and attended the member induction ceremony.

In the ceremony, I clearly remembered that Amy, Me and Amira attended the event. 

The VIPs of GKUTM encouraged members to be active and to ask questions at the end of the session.

It was obvious that there was a Q&A session at the end of the ceremony but nobody dared to ask questions.

So, Amira stood up, walked to the front (stage) and grabbed the microphone. 

The Advisor of GKUTM, Prof. Tajuddin called for applause for her initiative to ask questions. I can’t remember what she asked already but I thought that she was very brave at the time.

Then I joined in the “fun” and asked my own question, which was related to the connection between GKUTM and Rotary Club/Interact Club as I was pretty interested to know that.

It was still very fresh in my memory now, a very unforgettable scene.

Then occasionally too, I would join some of the SEE and/or SEL gang’s parties (usually birthday parties) and had fun with them, even though most of the time they were having fun while I was simply chatting with some of them.

One of the gatherings I joined was a birthday party for Lyeyong if I wasn’t mistaken. (I assume it was a party for her as she was the centre of attention that night). 

Another party I attended was for Eng Xiang, as it was held in KFC Taman Universiti. It ended a mess as there were some “cake-throwing” action during the celebration process but of course the KFC premise wasn’t owned by us so we had to help clean up the place.

I too had my one and only birthday gathering but was only attended by my course mates. It was held at Singgah Selalu restaurant near Danga Bay. 

I remembered after my usual celebration with my family, I headed to the place alone and waited for them for quite some time and I couldn’t imagine that I’ve to wait for them!

Nevertheless, they arrived and brought a cake. They sang birthday song and ordered food to eat. All of us talked crap as usual and enjoyed the event as fun as possible. It was still a joyful one though. 

I found it pretty tough to chat with the people (of SEL and other courses) during the parties as it was probably my own problem.

But nevertheless, I got to know who they were, where they were from and most important what their names were.

For me, it was good enough at the moment of time since I haven’t got any chance to work with them or chat much with them.

And also, as laboratory sessions became more important and more imminent in my 2nd and 3rd year, it was inevitable that lab partners/group members played an important role.

I remembered clearly that my first lab partners were 2 Khairuls; one was Khairul and the other one was Khairul Anwar. Pretty confusing for me but we managed to go through the tasks successfully.

Then throughout 3rd year, my lab partners changed and joining me were Jazrul and Hazriq. Three of us became very united and cooperative as we always divided our jobs automatically.

Usually I would collect information for pre-lab purposes, Jazrul would make important decisions during lab sessions and Hazriq would do the writing and touch-up for the short reports at the end of every lab session as his writing was always clear and nice enough. 

So my lab sessions went by very very smoothly and I was very grateful to them.

Lecture Memories – 2nd and 3rd Year Recalls

One compulsory subject in the first three years of every course in my faculty was Electromagnet Theorem or simply EMT and it ended up the toughest subject before taking our core subjects in our own fields.

And this subject introduced me to Dr. Norazan, whom I always regard as the best lecturer I’ve ever seen (in my faculty of course).

His lecture style was simply exhilarating. I might be exaggerating but I just felt that way so just bear with my exaggeration. The way he talks also made his lessons interesting.

Weirdly though, I think he’s probably the only lecturer who wears slippers to lectures. Haha.

Yet, he’s a very good lecturer all in all. I think I was very fortunate to be taught the subject as he went pretty in-depth into the subject, helping me and my fellow friends to understand the subject better.

When I talked about him, I couldn’t forget to talk about one of the memories I had.

I remembered that Dr. Norazan assigned each and everyone in the class a question and do a short report comprising introduction, solution to the question, background of the problem/topic, and the application of such topic.

And he also created a time-table for an “interview” session where he would ask questions regarding student’s assignment and also the topic related to the assignment.

I did mine, and I was scheduled to meet him on the last day of the interview schedule (it was a Friday), before 5 pm (originally I was scheduled for the 2nd day but he postponed it to the last day).

As I reached his office, there were still a lot of guys before me while I waited for my turn to be “interviewed”. 

I waited and waited of course (no choice at all) and one by one they went in and came out feeling relieved. 

At roughly 4.30 pm, there were still 3 or 4 guys ahead of me. So he came out of the office, and said, “Kelvin, I think you don’t need to come in for interview. Your assignment is already very complete.”

I was very happy to hear that as I was the only guy who was exempted from interview! Off I went then after thanking him.

Well, it was a very small incident but I think such small matters do deserve a place in my memory.

Another lecturer whom I still recall is Dr. Norazman, who taught me the subject “Advanced English for Communication”. Basically this subject was all about doing research and producing a research report.

Dr. Norazman was a gigantic fella. I mean gigantic as in very big size fella. He was 1.5 times my size (remember I was pretty big size during that time).

At first, I thought he was a very scary lecturer as he looked very fierce and stern.

But after a few lectures, I found that he was actually very kind and used a relaxed approach during lectures. 

And only in his lectures I saw people raising their hands to ask questions in the middle of the lesson. 

It was a very refreshing scene at that time as we know Asian students in Asian universities seldom do that in lessons.

Under his guidance, my group (me, Ang, Foo, Dydientha and Gaffar) learnt a lot of stuff. We did questionnaires and distributing them and collecting them back. 

We also did information collection and also held numerous meetings to make the research proposal a reality. 

I too learnt to tolerate my members’ antics and behaviour as they caused me a lot of problems and I ended cleaning up their mess.

But at the end of the day, the final product was out there in time and I was very glad with the final product too. (:

0 Kay Poh Comments: