Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Can't Get Over It... - The Joy of Extra Curricular Activities

Song of the day:
Jimmy Eat World
"Work"


In my varsity, 2 credit hours of our bachelor degree life were dedicated to extracurricular activities. 

Therefore, I’ve to take 2 activities in separate semesters and choose from a list given to students.

In the application form, students were required to fill in their top 5 activities but there was no guarantee of getting your most favourite one as the places were always limited.

I remembered taking my first one during the second semester. As there was a fixed date to obtain form and register, I was a bit late for the registration and had to be contented to queue up at the back of a super massive line.

It was the first nightmare I faced in UTM. I’m talking about the super massive crowd and queue of course.

In the end, I managed to get into swimming, which wasn’t my top 2 choice anyway. Ang and his room mate from SEL, Jia Hwang also joined swimming.

Swimming was fun under a lecturer from FKM (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering) who’s also a swimming instructor during leisure hours, but was also strict as his marking scheme was not easy at all.

All the swimmers had to learn the 10 skills listed by our swimming instructor and then take the tests after mastering them.

So in the beginning, we learnt the basics and then tried mastering the 10 skills required. I only managed to master 8 of the skills and was able to obtain a B minus at the end of the whole course but I was pretty contented that I didn’t fail the whole course.

The other credit hour for extracurricular activity was SCUBA diving. I purposely applied for it as

I was super duper interested in water activities.

So, I attended the indoor lessons but I still wasn’t ready for the full license lesson (which requires students to take 2 extra lessons with higher fees of course and extra outdoor lesson and test) so I took the incomplete course.

After 3 indoor lessons, we were put into groups based on the schedule for the outdoor lesson, which is sort of like a practical lesson to learn how to deal with the SCUBA equipments and applying diving skills.


My scuba group

I was grouped with different people from different faculties and altogether there were 8 of them including myself.

The practical lesson started with our instructor explained the uses and procedures to handle the equipments. Next we followed the procedures and learnt to use the equipments.

Next, we were guided to make ourselves comfortable in the water and then learn how to dive underwater using the equipments as well.

The whole lesson was broken into 2 sessions; morning and afternoon sessions. Morning session ended at roughly 12 while the whole lesson ended at roughly 3 pm.


Scuba meeting! Attention! Scuba meeting!


This is an alien fixing his goggles... I'm the alien! Muahahaha...


Me and my scuba buddy... Part 1...


Me and my scuba buddy... Part 2...

I still have the pictures with me but I forgot to blog about it. Hehe. Enjoy the pictures though.

*Note that the pictures of me were taken before 2008 as I was fat then.

2 Kay Poh Comments:

Esther said...

SCUUUUUBAAAAAAA!

kevlinefm said...

Yup!
SCUUUUUBAAAAAAA!
Very interesting (:
If got chance, should go SCUBA diving at some places. NICE! :D