Sunday, July 22, 2007

12... and counting...

Song of the day:
Daughtry featuring Slash!
"What I Want"


July 2007 marks the beginning of another academic year for me.

The number 12 would be an important one.

12 more months.

I'm gonna end my stay in the varsity that I don't love but don't hate.

Final year approaches, which is kinda eerie in some ways.

I've lost damn lot of interest in studies during the 2 month++ industrial training.

And I've lost my focus on studies.

Yet tonnes of tasks would force me to regroup my attention.

When would that happen?

Anyway, final year project would begin approximately on Monday, after I get to know who my facilitator would be.

It's scary to even think about that.

Let's reminisce a little about my past 3 years in my varsity, UTM.

It's not much of a memorable experience.

But I've known some cool friends, some pretty interesting people along the way.

I've also witnessed some reality of life in between.

Politics is always dirty I tell ya. Something in varsity that I witnessed taught me about it.

For example, UTM authority practise what I call "Autocratic System".

In varsities, there would be polling day annually in order to choose the new set of students representatives in the Senate.

But starting from don't know when, due to complains from the varsity authority about the ways the candidates attract votes, they dismissed almost all the student representatives that got the most votes and replaced them with their own.

What a joke. Dirty system.

Racial issues cannot be totally erased. Bias is still a pretty heavy element in Malaysia local varsities.

One obvious example is the STPM (Form 6) vs Matriculation.

Dude, matriculation would always have to stand aside if compared to STPM.

Matriculation is only a way to help the Malays to achieve varsity entries. What about other races?

And please, the percentage of Malays entering local uni is definitely large because of the way the Government handles such stuff (special mandate).

BIAS...

Malaysian mentality - Government sectors, including local varsities would always adopt what they call the best solution to everything, which is "Prevention is better than cure".

For example, my varsity set a set of stupid rules (namely No leaving the campus after 12 midnight) to prevent students from any accidents.

C'mon dude, that's not gonna prevent anything much.

And a general reminder to these Government sectors - Educating people would be a much better, effective way.

Sigh.

All these rants are pointless to be honest.

Fast forward to now, the final year would be a damn busy experience.

I don't know how I would handle the pressure but I'll try to stay as close to my family and friends around me as possible.

12 more months and I'm leaving the varsity to head for the step up in life.

I have to admit that I'm still a kid-adult or kidult so I won't be able to convert into a 100% adult.

I'm pretty sure of that.

Till now, I still don't have a clear view of my future.

But I've set some new goals.

I wanna finish my scuba diving lessons and achieve a license.

Then I'll decide what I would do with the license.

Post-graduation period would be a vital one for me to decide my direction of life.

However, it's still pretty vague.

One voice tells me that I should ditch engineering and do what I want in life.

Another voice tells me to stick with engineering.

I know what I want even before I step into UTM.

So, the final decision is a dilemma.

That's only my rough draft.....

0 Kay Poh Comments: